Iver Village

Special Educational Needs 

What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a “local offer of all services available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child”.

What will it do?

The Bucks family information service will allow the local offer to provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. With regard to education, it will let parents/carers and young people know how schools and colleges will support them, and what they can expect across the local setting. 


Information for Parents of children with special educational needs or disabilities, which are supported at our school.

SEN Annual Report 2019/2020

SEN Annual Report September 2019

At Iver Village Infant School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school. In order to do this many steps are taken to support them through their learning journey. We provide quality teaching for all our children’ however, for some children there are occasions when further, additional support may be needed to help them achieve their potential.

The Special Needs Co-ordinator is: Mr Bradley Carter

Roles & Responsibilities of the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENco).

The SENco is responsible for the operation of the Special Educational Needs Policy and co-ordination of specific provision made to support individual children with SEN.They will liaise with staff to monitor the child’s progress and plan further interventions where progress is slower than expected.We regularly have contact with a wide range of external agencies that are able to give more specialised advice.If you have any concerns regarding SEN matters do not hesitate to contact us.

 There are many SEN terms that are abbreviated which can lead to confusion (for all of us!)

 Please click to open a  glossary of the most used SEN terms.

 Children and Families Bill 2013

The Children and Families Bill takes forward the Coalition Government’s commitments to improve services for vulnerable children and support families. It underpins wider reforms to ensure that all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Bill will reform the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs.

The Government is transforming the system for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them. The Bill will extend the SEN system from birth to 25, giving children, young people and their parents/carers greater control and choice in decisions and ensuring needs are properly met.

 It takes forward the reform programme set out in “Support and Aspiration: A new approach to special educational needs and disability: Progress and next steps” by:

  • Replacing statements of special education needs and learning difficulty assessments with a new birth to 25 Education, Health and Care Plan, extending rights and protections to young people in further education and training and offering families personal budgets so that they have more control over the support they need.
  • Improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families and particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together; requiring local authorities to involve children, young people and parents in reviewing and developing provision for those with special educational needs and to publish a ‘local offer’ of support. 

Below are questions that will provide information to parents and carers to enable them to make decision about how to best support their child’s needs.

 1. How does Iver Village Infant School know if a child needs extra help? 

  • We know when children need help if:
  • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • limited progress is being made
  • there is a change in the child’s behaviour or progress

 2.     What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • Approximately one in five children will have SEN at some time during their schooling.
  • Children with SEN have learning difficulties and/or physical disabilities which make it significantly harder for them to learn than most children of the same age.
  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns.
  • If you have concerns then contact Mr B Carter who is the SENco.

 3. How will I know how Iver Village Infant School supports my child? 

  • Each child’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the child’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
  • If a child has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy & literacy skills etc. then the child will be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need but will generally be for a term. All involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning will regularly review the interventions. These interventions will be recorded on the class provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings, cost and impact of the intervention). If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENco.
  • Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Senior Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the children in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.
  • Occasionally a child may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Children’s Therapy Team, SALT, and Paediatrician etc. A referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.
  • The Governors of Iver Village Infant School are responsible for entrusting a named person, Mrs N  Raher, to monitor Safeguarding and Child protection procedures. She is also responsible for the monitoring and correct administration of the Disclosure and Barring Service procedures and the school’s single central record. In a ‘support and challenge’ role the Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the DfE.

 4. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • When a child has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the child in a 1:1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher weekly and by the SENco three times per year. IEPs will be discussed with parents at Parents’ Evenings and IEP review meetings each term. A copy of the IEP will be sent home each term with an invitation to the child’s review meeting. If necessary, specialist equipment may be given to the child e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencil grips or easy to use scissors.

 5. How will I know how my child is doing?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ evenings and IEP review meetings which are held termly.
  • Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENco by visiting the school office.

 6. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • Mr B Carter may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs.
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided some of which can be used at home.

 7. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

  • The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for children who are encountering emotional difficulties.
  • Members of staff such as the class teacher, Home School support worker and SENco are readily available for children who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate mediation sessions are carried out.
  • Clubs are available and there is a designated quiet zone for those who find lunchtime a challenge.

  8.Children with medical needs

  • If a child has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the child.
  • Staff receive epipen training delivered by the school nurse.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • All staff have basic first aid training.

 9. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. Professionals who support us in identifying and working with children’s learning/medical/ behavioural and social needs include:   

-              Children protection advisory

-              Educational psychologist

-              CAMHS (children and adolescent mental health service)

-              School nurse

-              Primary mental health worker

-              Speech and language therapist

-              Education welfare officer

-              Social services

-              Behaviour support outreach workers

-              Early years support team

-              Occupational therapy

-              Buckinghamshire specialist teaching team.

  • An Educational Psychologist and Speech and Language Therapist is allocated to each school. They would normally only work directly with children whose needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them.
  • This involvement is generally planned at the SEN planning meeting. These are meetings held three times a year between the SENCO and EP/SALT. The aim these meetings is to gain an understanding of and try to resolve a child’s difficulties in order to help understand the child’s educational needs better. The psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. He/she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the child in order to take their learning forward.

 10. What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEN had or are having?

  • Staff regularly attend a range of courses to support all learners and we constantly strive for excellence. 
  • Different members of staff have had specific training related to SEN including:
  • How to support children on the autistic spectrum
  • How to support children with social and emotional  needs
  • How to support children with speech and language difficulties.

 11. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • Activities and school trips are available to all.
  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required then a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.

 12. How accessible is the school environment?

  • As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Our school building is fully accessible and we have two accessible toilets within the school.

 13. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Iver Village Infant School or transferring to a new school?

  • Many strategies are in place to enable the child’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:
  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the child joining/leaving.
  • All children attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for children who need extra time in their new school.
  • Junior school staff visit children prior to them joining their new school.

 14. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The SEN budget is allocated by the DfE each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.
  • The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at child progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year.
  • Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.

 15. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • These decisions are made in consultation with the class teacher and senior leadership team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of child progress and as a result of assessments by outside agencies.
  • During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the child’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.
  • Decisions are made in conjunction with consultation with parents

 16. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

  • All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

-              discussions with the class teacher

-              parents evenings

-              discussions with Mr B Carter or other professionals

-              Parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s IEP with possible suggestions that could be incorporated. 

 Local offer – Education and learning

  • Information from the Department for Education can be found online at:



Guide for Parents
  • If you want advice from professionals outside school contact:

Parent Partnership: Tel: 01296 383754 email: sendias@buckscc.gov.uk

 Impartial support, advice and information for parents and carers of children with SEND.